Thursday 25 August 2011

Meat eating horses.

CuChullaine O'Reilly is not the sort of guy you want to be behind at airline check ins. A good Irish name, so he should trip the IRA button, worked with the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan (but long before Bush's crusade) and a passport with more stamps than Stanley Gibbons, so you just know they are going to work him over. And now he has upset a whole new group. Yes the militant wing of the Pony Club have put out a contract on him, and loads more will follow.
His crime, telling the truth about horses.
Deadly Equines is his latest book, sensational, controversial and I disagree with large chunks of it, but that is rather like discussing bears' sylvan bathroom habits. Any book worth writing will get me to disagree with large chunks, and while my writing is a model of quiet reason everyone else's is sensational etc. The alternative is far worse, boring.
About every twenty pages I was overcome with the urge to contact CuChullaine to tell him he was talking out of his backside, massaging the data, drawing the wrong conclusions etc, but I kept going back to the text and found that I had read right through without sending a single snotty email to tell him where he was wrong.
I am now working on a long and complicated article to tell CuChullaine why I think he is right and to suggest various different directions in which he might wish to pursue his research.  What surprised me, given the depth and range of his research, was missing the comment on the killer pony in the mines from George Orwell's "Road to Wigan Pier."
If you want to find out what I am talking about, now and in my next few posts, reading  Deadly Equines is an absolute necessity.
It ranks with Rebecca Cassidy's Horse People  and Temple Grandin's "Animals in Translation" as it forces you to rethink whole chunks of your equestrian experience.
CuChullaine, I still disagree with loads of it, but trying to work out why I disagree, exposes my beliefs to evidence that goes the wrong way. The argument will continue, for which I can only say, Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment